Minutes for the Regular Monthly Meeting
Tuesday, May 26, 2015, at the Florida Avenue Baptist Church
1. Introductions by President Golda Philip of Rev. Finley of the Florida Avenue Baptist Church
and Mr. Ben Case of the Mayor’s Office.
2. DDOT presentation by Mr. Rick Kenney on upcoming street projects
a. Georgia Avenue bus lanes
b. Green infrastructure and flood mitigation in LeDroit Park
i. Project will run from Florida Avenue to Barry Place.
ii. Construction will start this summer.
iii. At the end of the project one lane in each direction will be dedicated to
buses, bikes, and taxis.
iv. New left-turn lanes will be added at Barry Place and W Street.
i. Study area includes the area bounded by Georgia Avenue, Florida Avenue,
2nd Street and W Street.
ii. The goal is to reduce storm water runoff during heavy storms, thereby
reducing the likelihood of flooding.
iii. Proposed improvements throughout the neighborhood include
1. V Street (200-300 block): permeable sidewalk and permeable
pavement for the north-side parking lane
2. Alley between Oakdale Place & V Street: permeable alley pavement
3. 5th Street from V to W Streets: planting trees
4. 3rd & Elm Streets: bioretention curb extension on the north side of
5. U Street (500 & 600 blocks): permeable pavement for the north-side
6. Bohrer Street and alley behind U Street (500 & 600 blocks):
permeable alley pavement.
iv. Design will be complete in the fall of 2015.
v. Construction will start in the spring of 2016 and end in Dec. 2016.
vi. A resident asked if the work on V Street was motivated by a desire to fix the
deteriorating roadway or to mitigate flooding. The DDOT representative
replied that flood mitigation was the top priority.
3. Presentation by Ms. Michelle Munn on her request for support for zoning relief to add a 90-
square–foot addition to her house at 2118 2nd Street.
a. The proposed addition is a rear addition to her first floor and will extend back 9 feet.
b. Ms. Munn needs a variance since her lot occupancy will be 73%.
c. Ms. Munn said she has support from one neighbor, but has not heard back from the
d. Motion by Christine Henry to support the request for zoning relief
4. Resident Christine Henry requested interview subjects for her PhD thesis on LeDroit Park
and historic districts.
other neighbor, who is an absentee landlord.
i. Anita Norman seconded the motion.
ii. The motion passed unanimously.
5. Public Safety Committee report by Ms. Anita Norman and Officer Montano (MPD)
a. There will be crime prevention training on June 6 from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm at
b. Ms. Norman will post emergency contact information on the website.
c. Ms. Norman invited residents to attend safety walks with MPD.
d. Block captains will ask neighbors for their emergency contact information.
e. Officer Montano reported crime in the last 30 days:
Cardozo High School.
6. Parks Committee report by Mrs. Nicole Bambas
a. Mrs. Bambas requested help for watering trees. The normal watering day is
b. Interested volunteers should email email@example.com to volunteer.
7. Membership committee and Treasurer’s report by Ms. Donna Morris, Treasurer
a. The bank account balance is $4,593.96.
b. The membership dues remain the same at $15 per household ($5 for seniors or
c. Members may pay at the meetings, online, by mail, or by dropping a check in Mrs.
d. In response to a resident’s question, Mrs. Morris said the membership period is June
8. Officer Elections conducted by Mr. Richard Myers, Parliamentarian
a. Mr. Myers presented the ballot:
i. No homicides
ii. 1 assault with a deadly weapon in front of the Howard Theatre
iii. 2 robberies, including a purse snatching at 4th & Elm Streets
Wednesday, but volunteers may choose other days.
b. Mr. Myers asked for additional nominations. There were no additional nominations.
c. Golda Philip moved to accept the ballot and elect the aforementioned officers.
a. Richard Myers asked for volunteers to help administer Produce Plus on
b. Ben Case invited everyone to the mayor’s young professionals happy hour at the
c. Zeba Floyd announced that the proposed DC budget that will be voted on tomorrow
d. Tina Boyd, the DDOT consultant, said she grew up in the neighborhood.
e. Rachel of Common Good City Farm said the farm would sell fresh fruits and
f. Donna Morris thanked Richard Myers for being our parliamentarian
10. Meeting adjourned at 8:14 pm.
needy households), $100 for sponsors, $250 for businesses, and $550 for
1 through May 31.
i. Eric Fidler for President
ii. Anita Norman for Vice President
iii. Donna Morris for Treasurer
iv. Jeehye Pak for Secretary
i. Christine Henry seconded the motion.
ii. The motion passed unanimously.
American Ice Company (917 V Street) on Thursday from 6 to 8 pm.
would include funding for building a public park on part of the McMillan Sand
vegetables from the farm on Thursdays from 3 to 6 pm.