Burglary and Theft Prevention Tips
- Have your packages delivered in your name to the LeDroit Park Market, 1901 4TH ST NW. They will hold your packages for pickup for a $1 fee.
- Make sure every external door has a strong, well-installed deadbolt lock. Key-in-the-knob locks alone are not enough.
- Sliding glass doors offer easy access to burglars if they are not properly secured. You can secure them by putting a broomstick or dowel in the inside track to jam the door, or by installing commercially available locks. To prevent the door being lifted off the track, drill a hole through the sliding door frame and the fixed frame. Then insert a pin in the hole.
Auto Theft Prevention Tips
- NEVER leave your car running unattended (not even for a few seconds).
- Park in a safe spot.
- Lock your car.
- Keep track of your keys.
- Use anti-theft devices.
- Stay alert.
For Walkers, Runners or Neighbors Using Public Transportation
- If possible, don’t walk alone during late-night hours.
- Walk in groups whenever you can — there is always safety in numbers.
- Walk on the sidewalk whenever possible. Walk close to the curb, avoiding doorways, bushes, and other potential hiding places.
- If you have to walk in the street, walk facing traffic.
- A person walking with traffic can be followed, forced into a car, and abducted more easily than a person walking against traffic.
- Walk confidently, directly, and at a steady pace.
- Don’t stop to talk to strangers.
- Wear clothing and shoes that give you freedom of movement. And don’t burden yourself with too many packages or items.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- If you are wearing headphones, don’t turn up the volume so high that you cannot hear outside noises.
- Please leverage the private camera incentive program (see Participate below).
- Please consider installing flood lights in dark areas.
- Please call 911 if you see illegal activity, including drug deals.