Minutes for the Regular Monthly Meeting
Tuesday, January 27, 2015, at the Florida Avenue Baptist Church
Call to order at 7:10 pm
1. Introduction by President Golda Philip
2. Presentation by Howard University and Gateway Partners regarding a proposed mixed-use development at Sherman Avenue and Barry Place
- a. The project includes apartments, retail space, and parking.
- b. 11% of the housing units will be set aside for affordable housing
i. 30 units at 80% AMI
ii. 6 units at 60% AMI
- c. Nine of the units will be set aside for Howard University faculty, which is a goal of the Campus Plan.
- d. The project includes workforce training for 50 students to learn to become certified HVAC technicians at no cost to the students.
- e. The project requires two simultaneous zoning actions:
i. Amendment of the Howard University Campus Plan to exclude the site from the Campus Plan to which the Civic Association is a party.
ii. Approval of a Planned Unit Development (PUD) for the building’s uses, height, and density.
- f. ANC Commissioner & Civic Association Secretary Brian Footer voiced his disappointment that the Mary Church Terrell House and Walter Washington House, both owned by Howard University, were vacant and visibly deteriorating.
- g. Motion by Brian Footer:
i. The Civic Association support the project contingent on the university president meeting with neighborhood stakeholders within 60 days to develop plans to restore the Terrell House and Washington House.
ii. Ben Ball seconded the motion.
iii. The motion passed with 11 members in favor and 5 opposed.
- h. Motion by Christina Gilbert:
i. The Civic Association met with Howard University leadership to discuss the importance of restoring the Terrell House and Washington House.
ii. Richard Myers seconded the motion.
iii. The motion passed unanimously.
3. Councilmember Brianne Nadeau (Ward 1)
a. Ms. Nadeau introduced herself and mentioned the earlier walk-and-talk held in the neighborhood.
b. Ms. Nadeau mentioned that she raised the issue of low-hanging utility wires with the Public Service Commission, which regulates many utilities.
c. Ms. Nadeau introduced her staff.
d. Ms. Nadeau invited the community to meet her on Saturday, January 31 from 10 am to 11:30 am at the U Street Café (1301 U Street NW)
4. Ben Case, the Ward 1 liaison from Mayor Muriel Bowser’s office, introduced himself.
5. President Golda Philip thanked the LeDroit Park Market for supplying cookies for the meeting.
6. Park Committee Report: Nicole Bambas asked for volunteers to discuss ways to improve the Park at LeDroit and to help water trees in the spring. She said to contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Presentation by Officer Morgan of MPD and two fellow officers. Ms. Philip thanked the officers for their work.
8. Public Safety Report by Anita Norman
a. Ms. Norman advised residents to call 911 when they see something suspicious.
b. Ms. Norman relayed reports of a suspicious van driving around the neighborhood.
c. Ms. Norman explained the Sex Offender Registry and ways to report concerns with its accuracy.
d. Ms. Norman said that DDOT requires a study for a requested stop sign at 4th & U Streets and for speed bumps on the 300 block of T Street and that this study must be requested by our ANC.
9. Maybelle Bennett of Howard University announced a public meeting regarding changes to campus discipline policy and campus police jurisdiction. The meeting will occur Thursday, January 29 at 6 pm at her office at 2731 Georgia Avenue NW.
10. Membership Committee Report by Christina Gilbert
a. Ms. Gilbert reiterated the dues.
b. Ms. Gilbert announced the upcoming LeDroit Park happy hour: Tuesday, February 10 at 6:30 pm at the upstairs bar at Costa Brava, 1837 First St NW.
11. The meeting adjourned at 8:41 pm.
This memorandum represents our understanding of the events that transpired and the actions that were taken. If they do not conform to a recipient’s understand, prompt written notice must be communicated to the writer. If no corrections or objections are made, this memorandum will be relied upon as a factual interpretation of this meeting.
Submitted on Friday, January 30, 2015, by Eric Fidler, the Vice President of the LeDroit Park Civic Association.