Goals of the Block Captain Program:
To support the CA in its mission of “fostering and encouraging a strong sense of community within LeDroit Park.” Block captains are an integral part of preventing crime in the community.
- Introduce yourself to neighbors as the CA Block Captain
- Drop off Civic Association materials to new neighbors
- Keep an eye on senior citizen neighbors or others who many need additional support at certain times.
- Be a source of information on practical matters (such as trash pick up day and how to call bulk trash) to neighbors who many not have this info.
- Participate in community safety walks, when possible
- Keep a log of problem properties (i.e. abandoned properties, properties with suspicious activities) to share with appropriate representatives of the CA and other District agencies in order to resolve issues.
- Report suspicious activity to MPD by calling 911 and communicate issues with the CA Public Safety chair/committee.
- Post notices of CA monthly meetings and other important events on block (on lampposts, etc.)
- Encourage neighbors to clearly mark the front and back of their homes with their house number.
- Smile and say “hi” to your neighbors – ask them to become involved in the CA and the public safety committee.
Please fill out the Block Captain/Public Safety Committee Interest Form or e-mail ledroitparknwp at gmail.com and Jana Baldwin, LDP Public Safety Chair will contact you with more information.
LeDroit Park Civic Association is a registered Neighborhood Watch Program.